Check-in Day 6
May 31, 2017
- Spent most of the day reading up on Bitcoin using this great textbook, and this blog.
- Pair programmed with Jake Hickey and Andrea Law on building a Python Bitcoin protocol. Jake has worked for a cryptocurrency company for two years, whereas Andrea knows a lot about networks. I feel super privileged to have been the recipient of their expertise!
For my protocol, I decided to start from the ground up, so the first iteration is a “Goofycoin” protocol, which is sort of the simplest instance of a blockchain currency.
From this I learned that:
- It’s really fun to roll your own crypto protocol.
- Why you shouldn’t roll your own crypto protocol for practical purposes. Lots of things can leave you vulnerable to attacks, and they are hard to think of ahead of time unless you already know about the vulnerability. Here’s an example.
Looking forward on continuing with this project!
A couple more things
- Worked on those blog posts.
- I finally have a good setup!
- Attended the Beginners Club.